Sunday 18 March 2012

Staying Alive

I have recently treated my self with the the opportunity of learning Bharatanatyam, it was a long awaited dream to start learning any of the classical dance forms and interestingly this time I made it come true.

The quest to learn dance was I always there, in my childhood my parents recall one of the instances where I pestered my mom to help me dress up for a cultural event in the nursery school which was popularly know as a Bal Mandir in the town. it was suppose to be an annual event and she came along with me to see what I am up to. Finally I went on stage and  told to the organizers that I wish to dance and my mother would sing for me, as to what I recall she has never sung in her life, other than the popular aartis and bhajans which are mandatory during poojas. She flatly refused to comprehend any request of accompanying with singing, in fact looking at the scenario she asked me pack up for home. I was sure I want to do this so I told them that I can mange singing myself , I sang and danced, oh! I also remember the song it was "nani teri morni ko moor le gaye baki jo baha tha kale choor le gaye," I was hardly two and a half years old then and life has changes so much now but still the feeling it gives immense relaxation, joy and peace.

The tread to tracing out a dance class been quite interesting, I have been looking out for a place which needs to be closer to my work place or say closer to my residence in Mumbai commuting eats more time and energy than to what leads to actual results, also the fact that the probability to attend the class was directly proportional  to the distance, thus to curl out the risk of not attending made it more apt to look for places close by. Finally I landed up to a class which is run by a trust dedicated to Fine Arts. As i was very ken on joining something soon and they had a obligation towards new batches to start with Dussera, I lost the first battle to time, the right time to do the right things is so much defined. Well but to my aid the lady at the reception motivated me with her cheerful smile. We had some initial exchange of thoughts regarding why I wish to join and what is it that I am aiming to gain out of this drill, what are my limitations considering work timings, etc. by the time the mutual exchange of essentials got over she  suggested me to join western dance classes which are also run in the same campus. Thought not too much inclined initially, but sooner she convinced me to give it a try. And there I was going Salsa, foxtrot, was a gang of some teens who use to teach dance, to them it was quite a fun and one can see the enthusiasm of learning -teaching among them, few of them were overwhelmed with the fact that they teach and  evaluate people double to their age!

Later on as that got over I switched to the classical dance class, I missed the inauguration as it was on Vijaya Dashmi and I was traveling to east, I also missed a couple of classes and latter on woke up one fine day and reached to the class, the youngest one was perhaps less than 3 years old and the oldest one was 12 years old as and then it was me all in first year, the teacher initially assumed me to mother of any of the students in her class, its off late that she recognized that am a student. She also warned me that I have to be on time and if I miss I need to cop up with my batch mates! the students were very happy to see me dancing, most of them were so well dressed with uniform and other accessories that I felt deceitful to the cause. well due to course of events I could not make it to any other class and the chapter seems to be closed for now.


But soon I found another class Kanakalay, again very closer to my place, its just a signal away and its also close to office (seemed like a win win situation) I called up and fixed an appointment, I meet R she lives close by and is working as a teacher in a near by school, she takes up dance classes on Sundays, considering her family and job commitments. She is very warm and polite, thus it was easier to get along to discuss on what brings me to Kanakalay we quickly got each other it seems and soon she helped me with some interesting ideas to work out along the existing odds, we then chalk out a tentative plan to help me accomplish my long awaited dream, and here I was on that sunny Sunday afternoon making my way through the muddled traffic with a gleeful feeling deep in my heart. P' was here , he requested me so many times to postpone it but I was adamant to trace my path through all odds, as I was already late to meet her, (I promised to join it in mid feb and it was already March !) I just hurriedly  waved a goodbye to P' and moved on! I think my friends have not got use to my strange ways, though I have to also get use to it myself , but then also somehow, sometimes I feel too guilty of not standing by them, especially when they want me to be around.

Well, reaching on time for the class and learning namaskar eased me out of my  varied thoughts, it moved me over with all what if, not it, and but to a different stream.

On my way back, I choose to walk, I usually do so when I want some time off.  I drove myself with utter delight, tapping my foot on every inch of the road, as if whispering to each and every stone and pebble on this concrete road to make it aware of what I am up to today. Its quite a familiar route, I go for my long walks through the same lanes, and almost cross through the same buildings , take the same turns, but for today I took a long turn , took a new route (not knowing which lane it would lead to) thinking now- and then about how the day went off? Oh! it was a perfect day and I wish more of it to come in, I am still floating with the thoughts of it being so close to be true! :) I need more time to get back to the real world again.

Something which I feel gives me bliss is to see how life unfolds itself ,its a great fun to discover that how life is about these small things falling in place and making place for the bigger ones to come along, its worth the pain of living every day. Also how one needs to work around to find ways for ones fears to let  off and make way for new dreams to come home. At times it may require great deal patience and  persistent efforts to bring oneself on terms with the realities,  with ones own thoughts, with oneself. Some  work around with the choice matrix is also needed to make space and concur with the essentials, in the city of  opportunity  and  multiple choices I once again welcomed myself to this journey of reason , thoughts, choices , conflicts , rational and understanding, I wish myself with more such days to come and more over more of such leisure time to feel, and feel alive !

No comments:

Post a Comment